Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One for the WTF Files

I am freaking out a little bit. Remember when I went through the run-down last week about who was here and who wasn't? Well, my co-worker who has pneumonia CAME TO WORK YESTERDAY. She proceeded to cough and hack her way through the day. I honestly expected to hear a loud gasp and thud as she finally succumbed to her inability to draw a full breath.

Who the F comes to work with pneumonia? Does she know if she is contagious? (I heard her hem and haw an answer to this question, which makes me think that she doesn't even know.) If pneumonia is something you get by inhaling infectious particles (either viral or bacterial particles) it would seem to me that, yes, there is a good chance you are contagious.

I am angry at my co-worker, and I hope she doesn't come in today or the rest of the week. I don't even care so much for myself as for my children. I have one starting school next week. It would kind of suck if she had to sit out for a month or so to get over something that mommy brought home from work. And what about my younger child?

It's not as if Odd Duck's job is in jeopardy. She was supposed to be on vacation this week anyway. Why would she come here? She's got almost 20 years; her product lines are solidly hers. What would make her drag herself to the office? She's clearly unwell. I don't think she's doing anyone any favors.

It's one thing to come to work with a cold. It's a completely different issue to come to work with a serious illness. Especially if you don't know if you're going to give it to others. (I'm not the only one in the department with young children.)

No comments: